Friday, July 25, 2014

UK Inheritance Tax - 40% tax rate in the UK

In Singapore, the equivalent of inheritance tax (called Estate Duty) was abolished some years ago.  So, many Singaporean investors in overseas properties may not be immediately aware of inheritance tax implications when it comes to purchasing property overseas, e.g in the UK.


This is taken from the UK HMRC website:

"Inheritance Tax is usually paid on an estate when somebody dies. It's also sometimes payable on trusts or gifts made during someone's lifetime. Most estates don't have to pay Inheritance Tax because they're valued at less than the threshold (£325,000 in 2014 to 15). The tax is payable at 40% on the amount over this threshold or 36% if the estate qualifies for a reduced rate as a result of a charitable donation."

In our case, the value of the properties will almost surely exceed £325,000.  So, inheritance taxes will hit.

One common question asked is this.  Assuming your UK property has two names, you and your spouse. If you pass away, does inheritance apply?  Or will your surviving spouse be able to get the property free of tax?

The answer can be found on the HMRC website - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritancetax/intro/basics.htm

Spouse or civil partner exemption
Your estate usually doesn't owe Inheritance Tax on anything you leave to a spouse or civil partner who has their permanent home in the UK - nor on gifts you make to them in your lifetime - even if the amount is over the threshold.

So, do you have a permanent home in the UK?  If not, inheritance tax will apply, once an overseas owner passes on.

Conclusion
With these inheritance tax considerations, it is clear to us that we would be looking to sell off our properties, or most of our properties, in the medium term.

E.g. start liquidating some of our UK properties as we near retirement age.

Happy Investing!


5 comments:

  1. Hi I read on the web that the inheritance tax for non resident owners of UK properties can be minimized by the following: 1) mortgage loans 2) threshold of £ 650K if owned by a couple under joint tenancy. Do you have the same understanding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CAN GIVE MY STORY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN
      Congratulations to all those who received their loan from SANTA GROUP FUNDING !!!.via: creditosantajusta@gmail.com
      Do you want a loan with no loan company application fees OR ZERO WORRIES ? IF YES HERE IS MY TESTIMONY, I think you should also contact them that is why I'm writing this Testimony because I'm really grateful for what STANTA Funding Group did for me and my family. When I thought there was no hope, this loan company came and make my family feel alive again by lending us loan at a very low interest rate of 2%. Well, I have been searching for a loan to settle my debts for the past three months, all I met scammed and took my money, until I finally met a God sent Lender. I never thought that there are still genuine loan lenders on the internet but to my greatest surprise I got my loan without wasting much time. So, if you are out there looking for a loan of any amount, I would advise you to email Mr. Santa via: creditosantajusta@gmail.com or call/text/Whatsapp +1(659) 210-0433.

      Delete
  2. Now and again e.g. at the point when a retail blast is normal in a locale, you may think that its gainful to purchase a property that you can change over into a distribution center to rent to private ventures.non performing commercial notes for sale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing article. Your blog helped me to improve myself in many ways thanks for sharing this kind of wonderful informative blogs in live. I have bookmarked more article from this website. Such a nice blog you are providing !trump condos

    ReplyDelete
  4. I CAN GIVE MY STORY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN
    Congratulations to all those who received their loan from SANTA GROUP FUNDING !!!.via: creditosantajusta@gmail.com
    Do you want a loan with no loan company application fees OR ZERO WORRIES ? IF YES HERE IS MY TESTIMONY, I think you should also contact them that is why I'm writing this Testimony because I'm really grateful for what STANTA Funding Group did for me and my family. When I thought there was no hope, this loan company came and make my family feel alive again by lending us loan at a very low interest rate of 2%. Well, I have been searching for a loan to settle my debts for the past three months, all I met scammed and took my money, until I finally met a God sent Lender. I never thought that there are still genuine loan lenders on the internet but to my greatest surprise I got my loan without wasting much time. So, if you are out there looking for a loan of any amount, I would advise you to email Mr. Santa via: creditosantajusta@gmail.com or call/text/Whatsapp +1(659) 210-0433.

    ReplyDelete